What is a Copyright Registration??
Copyright registration is a right given to the authors to provide them protection on their original work done in the field of literacy, dramatic, musical and artistic works and producers of cinematography films and sound recording. It also makes you a sole owner of the bundle of rights like right of reproduction, right of translation etc.
How to file Copyrights Registration in India?
Registering of Copyright is a complex procedure and takes around 1 year to register. However, for your understanding, we are dividing the procedure into three simple steps:
#Filing of Application along with fees: The first step is to file the copyright registration application along with the fees to the copyright department. The application for copyright registration is filed under copyright act, 1957.
#Diary Number & wait for 30 days: After filing the application form, the diary number shall be generated and then one will have to wait for 30 days for any objections to raise. In case, no objection is raised, the case proceeds to next step.
#Scrutiny & Approval: In this step, examiner does the scrutiny and after that grants approval in case everything is fine & correct.
Why to register for Copyright Registration?
Copyright law protect the original work from the time it came into existence. However, one will have to prove that it is his original work. To prove that you are the sole owner of your work, you need a copyright registration.
Requirements for Copyright Registration in India
There is no mandatory requirement for copyright registration in India except that your work should be original and should not be a copy paste, otherwise copyright registration shall not be registered. Also, please make sure the following points:
- – The application drafting is an important part and any mistake should be avoided.
- – You must gather all sources or proofs in case your application is objected.
- – Regular check on the Copyright Status to avoid rejection of application.
- - Scanned passport-sized photograph
Advantages of Copyright Registration in India
- - It helps you to protect your original work.
- - It protects you from various litigations of copyright.
- - It can help you earn royalties.
- - You can sue any infringer of your copyright.
- - Helps you to create an intellectual Property asset.
- - Helps you to establish your own content library that can be proven in the court.
- - 100% work Protection
- - Increases Business value
- - Earn Royalty.